Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Tea Cup Club and Book Repair

Well!  Have I got a find for you!  While strolling through Etsy for book corners (more about that later) I found a tea cup club!  I didn't know anything like this existed and since I am an avid tea drinker this was a perfect match.  I signed up for a 6 months go at it and my first cup arrived... in nearly new condition!  You know old cups, they should be all chipped and a mess, this one only has the slightest touch of gilt missing from around the edge of the lip.  Which you can't see unless you are inspecting it closely.  VERY pleased with my purchase.  It came in a pretty decorated box with a pretty decorated bag on the inside!  LOVE IT!  See how pale the light turquoise is?  Is that my color or what!
Now one a month will arrive for six whole months!  PLEASED AS PUNCH!  DH figured it out and with the $25 shipping they come down to something like $10 each!  That's amazing as you can't find them for under $25 normally and that's without the shipping. Allura (what's not to love about that name!) is the owner of Alluring Antiques, click here for club. She allows you to tell her your favorite colors and other things and will ship accordingly!  LOVE HER!  She's been amazing as there was a good bit of convo's before I was convinced.  Now that it's here, not only am I convinced but I'm in love!  :-)  If you sign up tell her the Yarn Fairy sent you.  She also has an antique book club.
     Which brings me to my next subject. 
I have been finding antique books on the net (1800's to early 1900's only) and repairing them!  WHAT FUN!  First was for DH as a Christmas present.  
This one was a bit of a challenge as it had a nasty mildew stench, and I do mean STINKY!  I learned about baking soda in a box.  Poor book needed it on every page before it was ok even open.  

So this is the current set, I bought 4 and have repaired my favorite first, Hamlet.  


Remember those book corners I was looking for, it's for these books.  I found 2 one for small books, and a decorative one for large books.

  FREAK OUT These books have no backs, no covers in some places.  I like it when the spine (as in DH's) is still intact but I'm finding that back in the 1800's they had a cheap method of covering books and that was with some sort of chipboard and a fragile paper which has deteriorated over time.  Mine are much more secure. Hamlets my favorite so I went for him first.  I was able to save the cover but not the spine.  Someone had tried to glue the cover on and made a real botch of the job.  I had to cut it away carefully.  Then I come to find the spine crumbled away.  I'm afraid Hard Times by Dickens is made from the same stuff so I don't believe I will be able to salvage it unless I'm VERY careful.  Magnifying glass and third hand will come in handy.  As you can see they all need new spines/covers.  I try to keep the original as you can see I kept the original cover of Hamlet.  After a bit of painting and then a spread of high gloss, it's sturdy as the day it came off of the press.  I put an organza ribbon marker in it too.
     Question, do you think these have any resale value now that I have messed with them in this manner?  When repaired, do they loose value?  Or gain value?  PM me at wmdress at sbcglobal dot net
     Yes, this is what the Yarn Fairy does to relax! ENJOY your knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment