Wednesday, July 30, 2014

That "one" thing

Why is it that it's in our nature to focus on that "one bad thing" that happens?  You can have 50 great things go down. Yet one bad thing happens and it's the only thing that's ever happened.  You focus on the one negative in your life so much so that you can't see the forest for that one dead tree.  
     Human nature, I will never understand it, nor myself.  The older I get the less I seem to know.  Back when I was a teenager, I knew everything, everyone around me knew it too. 
     Evidently the area in our brain that stores the
negative information is so empty that we can recall something from our childhood that's so vivid it's like it just happened yesterday. Doesn't make it any easier to get a grip on that one bad thing today.  It just makes it easier to understand why it's so easy to recall the information.  
     If you have 50 good things happen to you and then one bad one, I think that's pretty good odds. 50 to 1, right? Instead of focusing on that one thing, write up a gratitude list of all the good things that has happened to you instead.  Look at how long that list is and then look at that one thing on the other side.  Pretty amazing isn't it?  Granted my con side might be longer then some as I don't walk and have all these incurable ailments, but still I can make a much longer pro side to life then con.  Regardless how many ailments I have or if they are incurable.  There's still going to be a much longer good side to all our lists.  
     We have so much to be thankful for.  Just waking up is something to be thankful for.  How many people didn't wake this morning?  That we have breath is amazing to me.  The way our bodies work, our hearts beat, the blood pumps through this elaborate system.  If you don't believe in God all you have to do is look at His creation and creatures to feel just how very small we really are.  How intricately we are made, how amazing is a sunrise/set and the sheer magnificence of the landscapes around us all.  Never mind the seven wonders, just the view outside my window, outside these four walls is amazing.  
     So why is it?  Why is it that this "one thing" can go wrong and send us into a tail spin?  I don't know about you but I need to make a list of what I'm grateful for and focus on that and forget about the one thing that hurts and claws the flesh off of my bones.
 I'm thankful that God hasn't let me go through all these last 10 years of pain.  I'm thankful for my family who holds it all together while I'm scream in a ball in my bed, in that beyond the scale pain I get into.  I'm thankful for all my friends who continue to support me even though I don't always get it right. Gee, I only know one who's perfect enough to get it right always, that's God.  Humans are prone to failure, only forgiveness can make it right. Let us have a forgiving spirit and always seek to help one another.

1 comment:

  1. So greatly stated I so totally agree. A professor once gave us an assignment. We were to write down the things that we could remember of great things hapening to us. Then the bad things. Most people listed more negative. Then. He asked if we were thankful we could see hear walk think etc. it was a humbling lesson

    ReplyDelete