Thursday, July 25, 2013

Creature Feature and Wrapping up the Tour

Before I get started on TDF I want to share Creature with you.  I LOVE this yarn!  I stayed up till 1:30 am last evening as I just could NOT put it down.  I kept wanting to see what was next.  I guess since this is a freebie pattern I can share with you right?  I ADORE this yarn, did I already say that? ;-)  LOVE IT!  I painted Mermaid for my first trial and it didn't want to be wristers, I ripped them out twice and finally ended up working up the sock as I already knew exactly where I was going with that one.
This is The design idea I had, to have Sections in which each color is highlighted with purls and knits.  You can see by the toe, the first section after the purl rows, top to bottom is highlighting the turquoise.  The next section is highlighting the black, till at the bottom you go back to the turquoise.  FUN EH!  I love that this yarn makes diagonal stripes and know that will change when I go up a needle at the ankles and CANT WAIT to play more!
Here you can see what happens over straight purling.

And here you have stockinette, where you can really see what the yarn is actually doing, diagonally striping which will turn into another thing altogether at the ankles.  FUN!  Go to the Creature Feature page and pick your favorite Creature and their gems! 

Well Kiddies, Tour De Fleece is over.  While I miss wrap up this year due to life exploding over here,,, I can still share my goodies with you. ;-)
This is my bamboo sock, it's a full 602 yards! of a 2 ply bamboo/merino/nylon blend at 3.5 ounces.  The nylon is the white and then the bamboo and merino both took the dyes differently so you have a good amount of variation within the yarn.  As well as some violet silk that I tossed in to continue plying when my bobbins came to and end.  This will make some lovely, strong socks in a light weight fingering weight yarn.  This one has a counter part in deep, dark green that I will get too here one of these days.

Next up is some core spun that I did from a Two if by Hand long gradient roving I had.  This is a heafty fingering and I will use it on MMario's MKAL later this year.  Least wise that's the plan.  It's what I did with last years TDF core spun too. ;-)

The above fibers were a "break" from my main goal which was this lovely lofty mass of yarnie goodness.         The Pièce de résistance, 
     C'est Magnifique, 
The be all, end all yarn of yarns!
I give you YF masterpiece yarn
Here it is, finally finished!  Perfectly balanced no need to even set it.  This is 1260 yards of a 3.5 ounce roving in 50/50 silk merino LOVE IT! The last 250 yards are 3 ply with a strand of Sulky thread loaded with about 40 grams of size 8/0 beads.  I beaded randomly every 8-12 inches so it will be interesting to see what happens.  As you can see this came from a long gradient color roving.  We go through the colors only twice.  Which will make for a very interesting shawl.  Needless to say, I will have to design a shawl just for this yarn as it took more then 12 days out of my life to make this one up.  It's possibly the first and last time I work up lace weight.  Yes, I love the results, yes I enjoyed the process BUT I'm a project spinner so this was near death to me.  Decidedly up the mountain twice in one day. ;-)

  


No comments:

Post a Comment