Thursday, March 15, 2012

How to make a note pad holder

Well Kiddies, it's DD's b-day and so we are all chilin today.  Will continue shipping yarn and all that I normally do just more laid back.  It's supposed to snow by Sunday so her little picnic hike is off unfortunately.  Some of her friends are still coming over though.  Just wanted to take a half a mo to show you a bit of crafting.

 I had this note pad and I was ending up needing to find a pen and then there were the scraps of papers ripped off but not trash to deal with so I made this great little note pad holder.  The pad is 5 x 8 so I cut 2 pieces of cardboard just a bit larger then the pad.  Cut 2 contrasting fabrics out about 11 x 12ish you want to do what works for you.  Right sides together, sew all the way round like a pillow slip.  Turn, press.   Slip one cardboard all the way in, sew shut, slip the other in then add a piece of fabric for a closure on the right center and a loop of elastic to hold the pen.  You might want pins for this part as it's a lot of stuff to hold.  Last minute I added the above pocket, just sewed under the edge then sewed right over the cardboard in some areas!  Worked great.  Course I didn't take into account the slit for the pad until it was too late.... 3 pieces of fabric would have worked better with some bias tape to cover the slit.  Check back next time for a pattern keeper for the Knit Sibs.
 

 Here's my Shalom Cardi, I know doesn't look like much right now.  I was playing with fiber and dye mostly.

 Why? because I can mostly... and I LOVE IT!  Below is the one on the wheel currently.  I made up about 1/4 of it so far and it's been done into a 3 ply Navajo long strand.
It's really lovely.  I will probably use the one top right to alternate with unless I can find the solid turquoise I dyed for the wedding bag as that's a better match.  I learned a lot during this sample dyeing, it anyone is interested in any of the other pieces PM me.

2 comments:

  1. Love the shalom cardi- have knit 2 of them. next time will make better alterations to fit me. I made a long sleeve one for my DD. Love your dye results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I just passed on the Liebster blog award onto you hoping that others will find your blog through mine so they can enjoy it as much as I do. If you go to my blog, you will see it.

    ReplyDelete