Monday, August 1, 2011

Bone Broth from Scratch

Thought you might like this recipe from a good friend of mine... specially you Mimmy darlin! new daughter of mine!  
So how do you make bone broth? recipe by Kimi Wolff
  Get as many good beef bones as will fit into your largest stock pot or large canning kettle. You can save your steak and other beef bones or ask your butcher for them.  This also works with chicken, turkey, pork, whatever broth you would like.... just don't mix the bones, rather make the stocks separately.
      Add in:
2 good sized peeled onions
2 lbs tomatoes
4 carrots
6 bay leaves
several cloves garlic
6 stocks celery
1/2 c apple cider vinegar (Braggs Mimmy). 
     Then bring this to a very low simmer and simmer for about 2 days covered (put in frige overnight). I pour this through a muslin cloth and discard the bones after picking off any meat. At this point I like to cool till any fat hardens on top and remove the fat. This is not needed if you plan on freezing it. I usually can my broth due to lack of freezer space and I do not like the flavor of the broth with the fat canned on it. I save the fat for soap making. I usually have enough meat to make 2 meaty broth jars for a meat based veggie soup.
     My chicken broth is done the same only I do not use tomatoes in that and I stud each onion with 2 or 3 cloves each. I do not save the fat here as it makes too soft of a soap. I will save some if I have good hard tallow and use a tiny bit at times though to help soften the tallow. I prefer to use lard in my soaps, not too hard and not too soft.
    Canning broth is done at 11lbs of pressure for my area for 90 minutes. Some times I will add some onion and celery to the broth base for soups but not carrots as then it tastes like carrot soup when done canning, just add carrots after. 
 NOTES:    If you want to freeze... write on the freezer bag what it is, how many cups and the date.  Then bag, empty air from bag, then lay flat in freezer. Keep for 1 year only.
    Any recipe calling for broth you just whip it out and break off a chunk.  Season with salt and pepper after the fact so that you don't over salt a recipe cause the broth has salt in it.  Also makes a great base for gravies and soups.
     I don't use the tomatoes in my stocks but rather in the soups and beans that are made with the stocks.
     Some people will roast the bones in the oven at 350 for an hour to 3.... they say it brings out the taste, I have never bothered to do this and always have a nice light colored broth.  Enjoy baby girl!

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome, Wendy! I'll give this a go!

    ReplyDelete