Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tea for Two

What could be better after the first snow of the year then Tea for Two?

  The only thing I can think of is adding in Dickens a Christmas Carol!  The book you see is from the mid 1800's and somehow it made it into my library.  It's so GRAND! with all the tissue covered ink drawings.  I ADORE books as my groaning bookcases throughout our home will testify.  If you look behind our tea party you will see a bit of a 15' long, 10' high book case in the dining area.  There are plenty more bookcases strewn throughout the house as well. 


I have two great friends who always remember me on my birthday.  They are much beloved and know who they are so I wont name them here.  I can only thank them for being so diligent and keeping on with their tradition of tea.  The photo here was tea for my beloved daughter and I.  You can see a couple of my birthday presents there... the orange tea which has lovely spices in it.  Then on the right you can see the mulling spices... which will be used tomorrow in cider.  I normally make my own and will probably add cinnamon sticks and orange spices to float on the top.  This will simmer and smell the house up real good.  Then it will be the drink to go along with the pies for desert.

I'm glad someone can sleep tonight.  He hopped right into those pj's quickly as he'd just come in from his last potty run and it's all wet and dizzily out there.  The temperature is only 37 so unless it drops a good bit the children will have to wait for snow. 
My mother is coming up to share Thanksgiving with us and I had so wanted it to snow for her.  Hubby was able to get us a few turkeys so we are set till summer,,, perhaps till next November if I'm really good about it.  I believe we have 4 of them.  Such a boon!  
The Menu
  •    I make a moist, juicy wonderful bird!  We cook it breast down in a bag so that it's always done to perfection.  I believe he's 24 pounds?
  •    The stuffing is very moist, just the way we like it.  
  •    The gravy is made from simmering the giblets while the turkey cooks to make a stock.  This stuff's unbelievable!  I can't remember how I learned to cook it but it's so worth the extra work. 
  •    Dinner drinks are Martinelli's of course and my son makes a sparkling punch.  
  •    Mashies are a must here as well as King's Hawaiian rolls to go with the gravy.  :-)  
  •    Lightly steamed broccoli with a touch of butter and steak seasoning... you can not believe how stupendous organic broccoli is when done this way! 
  •   Corn on the cob which we do up with mayo, butter, Parmesan cheese and a touch of chili powder, NUM!  Totally from L.A.
  •   Baby carrots done in butter and brown sugar.  
  •   Hum, did he get the yams?  If so I will do up a yam, spiced, pineapple covered with marshmallows type of thing. 
  •   I believe mom's bringing up some cranberry's or we will slice the canned kind.  
  •   Then for desert we have the mulled cider, home made apple and pumpkin pies with whip cream, YUM! 
Just need to make sure Mr. Bird is totally defrosted today, make the pies and set up a time schedule so we don't forget anything.

What fun!  I don't get to cook often but when I do... LOOK OUT!!!!  This will give us food for weeks to come.  What a pleasure that will be... heat and eat.  I hope you all enjoy the time off, enjoy your family and good food, and are thankful for another day here.  Be thankful.  If you aren't and your are grousing... take a few minutes and write some things you are grateful for.  Here I will get you started, post them in the comments if you'd like.  I'd love to see that you actually did it.  ;-)  Not that I believe you'd shirk... after all it is Thanksgiving.
  1) I woke up this morning
  2) The sun was shining and everything was as it's supposed to be.
  3) .... now your turn.... through 10!,,, no shirking here! 

"God bless you everyone!"

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for my family, friends, a roof over my head, food to eat, and hubby having a job...among many other things...

    ReplyDelete