Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The MASSIVE stash overhaul

Yesterday I organized all my yarn and roving, no make that more like my children did all the hauling.  I just orchestrated from the chair with my laptop and camera.   GET THIS!  We had breakfast then dug in and it took us ALL DAY LONG to finish it, we didn't even stop for lunch.  I had to call DH and beg for him to bring home dinner... not something I ever do but I just could NOT even lift a finger once I collapsed. 

My Stash (of course with a capital S) is massive.  It's SABLE, Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy.  Has been since I got hooked on knitting, crocheting and spinning.  I went NUTS!  Now I don't have to buy yarn I just have to find it!  Which was the challenge.  Then too I would buy something that I loved dearly and forget I bought it and buy it again!  NO MORE!  Now we have a grid, photos, lists and soon will have a notebook full of all this totally organized, lovely information. 

We use the large Rubbermaid type of tote to contain the little beauties which keeps all critters, moths and other undesirables from the stash.  Now it's all gridded and photographed and described.  The roving and crochet thread are on the left and the wool is on the right.  The acrylic (little that's left) is under the recycling!  I actually got a massive gardening garbage bag full of 2 totes of the acrylic to give to some friends who have gone crazy over crocheting and knitting hats on looms.

Today I'm going to binder the photo's and put all the photos by their descriptions.  Which I will grab next time we are evacuated for a fire.  :-)  We are talking a great deal of money here so this will be a great help to replace it should it ever go up in smoke.  

Now whenever I need sweater or sock yarn I can look through the book, find it and then ask the children for it.  I will be able to say ok... go get these 2 skeins of Fleece Artist which are in B4, back row, right side.  HAHA WHAT FUN!!!!  I can't believe it actually happened.  I have been wanting to do this for years.  I still have one tote in the house and 2 underbed storage boxes but they will be simple enough to put into the grid as they just need to be photographed now.  Although one of them's full of patterns that go with the yarn... kits that I purchased.  I will have to figure that one out.  Or the patterns could go into the back of the binder.  

I ache everywhere,,, I ache in places that I didn't know I had muscles.  You should have seen me last night, what a wreak.  Even with the children doing most of the work I still moved a great deal more then normal.

My birthday passed.  I don't want to say much more then that as it went down as possibly the worst one in my long history due to various and sundry events surrounding the day.  My friends came over unexpectedly with cake and presents which was swell.  They are wonderful balm.  I love my friends.... they are good people.

Almost finished with my work knitting.  It's a color work sweater in greens and browns on size 3's.  I finished the body and have about 3" of the sleeves done.  I'm doing them 2 at a time so that all the increases hit correctly and all that.  Plus once they are done they are done.  :-)  Which is always a good thing.

Well speaking of it, I really should be working.  

No comments:

Post a Comment